Thursday, January 18, 2007

A cruel frozen mistress, cont.

Ice cream flavors from the last few days:

  • Arroz con leche (rice pudding)
  • Banana
  • Ananá (pineapple)
  • Maracuyá (passion fruit)
  • Crema de higo con nuez (fig with walnuts)
  • Sambayón con cerezas (Sambayón is a version of the French name for zabaglione, a dessert or sauce made with Marsala; this rendition had cherries added. This is definitely a staple flavor here. There are usually two or three -- or even more -- kinds of sambayón on the menu in most heladerías)
I've been looking for rice pudding ice cream here for two years. In Madrid, it brought me a pleasure bordering on the indecent, but I had never run across it in Buenos Aires. I finally found it the other day.

I spoke to the owner of the shop where I found it for a good half hour and began our conversation by congratulating him on a rice pudding ice cream well made. It really was great, with a swirl of cinnamon and flecks of lemon zest.

Is it worth mentioning that in the middle of all this ice cream tasting, I went to my dentist?

No cavities, but she said I was fatter than the last time she saw me.

Naturally, that was all I could think about afterward on the bus ride to the ice cream shop.

No comments: