Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dead air

Some of you may remember my excitement over finding out that I was going to be interviewed about my ice cream article for Good Food, a radio program from NPR station KCRW in Los Angeles.

I love that show. And so it was a big deal to get interviewed. I was really looking forward to it.

And then on one glorious summer morning I did the interview.

And then they never aired it.

Do you know what that means? It means I was worse than any of the segments they've aired in the last three months!

Knowing that was bad enough. But today on the subte I was listening to a podcast of the most recent episode, in which they aired a rather lengthy interview with a shopper talking about visiting the new Whole Foods in London.

So whatever I had to say about ice cream here ranks below a woman talking about her trip to the grocery store.

Sigh. It's funny because it's me.

2 comments:

Esteban said...

I'm sure they're just saving you for the sweeps, big guy. If podcasts have sweeps (let's pretend they do). Did you use any adjectives to describe the ice cream besides "Uhmm, good!"?

Dan said...

I believe I also described it as "gelatolicious." And, really, I don't want a part of any program that does not accept that as a legitimate adjective.

The best part is that I now occasionally replay parts of this interview in my head and wonder where I went wrong.

Like when the host said she pictured Buenos Aires as very European and asked me if it was like Paris or Rome where there were splendid balconies overlooking the streets. And I said: "Oh, yes. Definitely. The only difference is that here, the balconies are on the verge of collapse."